NHRA PRO MOD ON LIFE SUPPORT
Mon, 2008-02-18 15:40
For the first time since its introduction as an exhibition category in 2001, the Pro Modified division could be absent from this year’s NHRA Gatornationals in Gainesville, Florida, and beyond that, forever.
Reportedly, two key players in the NHRA Pro Modified sponsorship fraternity withdrew their support in the last week citing the NHRA’s unwillingness to offer a future of the class as well as a reasonable contract. Pending an 11th hour savior, the division could be history leaving as many as 23 teams re-evaluating their 2008 plans.
NHRA Pro Modified series coordinator Matthew Brammer couldn’t offer a solid plan for the future of the class when asked by Torco’s CompetitionPlus.com regarding the status of the 2008 season.
“We still do not have a signed contract with NHRA as of yet, so I can’t make any commitments and I hesitate to really make any comments at all — because I don’t know what the decisions are,” Brammer said Monday morning. “Potential sponsorship partners at this point are still reviewing the opportunities, and they still could decide to bring it all together.”
Brammer said he will know something by the end of this week as to whether the series will continue to exist.
Dave Wood, whose support of the NHRA Pro Modified division through his AMS Staff Leasing company, withdrew his support as primary series sponsor in January of this season. He will reportedly apply his sponsorship efforts and focus instead on the three-year old American Drag Racing League and a newly signed U.S. National Guard sponsorship for his race team.
The program has continued over the course of the last three seasons primarily due to funding from the contributions of various drivers and companies within the series.