Apparently, there is no rejuvenation left in the once-rejuvenated IHRA.
The IHRA, apparently walking more boldly in the drag racing landscape, arrived at the 2025 PRI Show showing much bravado with expansion, acquisitions, and a new direction; it continues to dismantle its ambitious program piecemeal. The latest issue they apparently face is one of the properties that was supposed to become a cornerstone of that rebuilding effort.
Maple Grove Raceway dropped the news on social media Monday, Aug. 17, and there wasn’t much room for interpretation. The gates are closing, and the racing schedule has been suspended while officials “strategically refocus, restructure and regroup.”
“Effective 8-17-26 Maple Grove Raceway will be closed and race schedule suspended for strategic refocusing, restructuring and regrouping.
“We appreciate the patience and understanding of our racing community, fans, partners, and supporters during this unforeseen challenging time.
“Additional information and updates on our progress will be shared as they become available.”
The statement didn’t provide a timetable for reopening, nor did it identify what is being restructured or address the future sanctioning status of one of drag racing’s most recognizable facilities.
Cuttell’s purchase of Maple Grove was supposed to be one of the big pieces of IHRA’s expansion. Eight months later, nobody is saying when the track will reopen or exactly what is being reorganized.
IHRA’s acquisition of Maple Grove was hard to miss at the 2025 PRI Show. When the deal was announced Dec. 12, the historic Pennsylvania track instantly became one of the biggest pieces of IHRA’s rebuilding effort.
Buying Maple Grove also created an immediate problem with NHRA.
Maple Grove had been an established stop on the NHRA national event tour, and its acquisition created questions about the future of NHRA racing at the facility. Larry Morgan, working closely with Cuttell at the time, later said IHRA made what he described as a genuine offer allowing NHRA to rent Maple Grove and continue staging its event there.
Instead, NHRA moved its opening Countdown to the Championship event to U.S. 131 Motorsports Park as the two sanctioning bodies went their separate ways.
IHRA had bigger plans for Maple Grove.
The facility was scheduled to host the opening race of the heavily promoted IHRA Triple Crown in May, a program built around substantial purses and a $1 million bonus for a professional driver capable of sweeping all three events. Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Mod, Mountain Motor Pro Stock and Pro Stock were among the categories scheduled to compete.
Mother Nature delivered the first blow when IHRA postponed the Maple Grove opener May 19 because of persistent rain in the forecast. Officials made the call before racers and spectators traveled to Pennsylvania.
IHRA responded a week later by moving the Triple Crown finale from Memphis to Maple Grove, creating a four-day Sept. 10-13 doubleheader with two complete races. {RELATED STORY – IHRA PLANS DOUBLEHEADER AT MAPLE GROVE)
It never got that far as IHRA eventually canceled the remainder of its 2026 Outlaw Nitro Series season, ending the championship battles and taking the Triple Crown with it after only one race.
The problems were no longer limited to a racing schedule.
Cuttell, whose Darana Hybrid construction company has been financially connected to his motorsports expansion, became embroiled in a massive payment dispute involving SpaceXAI. Cuttell has alleged Darana Hybrid is owed approximately $570 million for construction work performed on data center projects in Tennessee and Mississippi.
Darana Hybrid filed mechanics’ liens totaling approximately $137 million, according to reporting cited by CompetitionPlus.com. Cuttell said those liens represented only part of what his company claims remains unpaid from approximately $1.5 billion in work. [RELATED STORY: DARANA FILES LIENS]
Then the dispute went the other direction.
SpaceXAI filed suit against Darana Hybrid and Cuttell, alleging fraud, breach of contract and overbilling connected to the data center projects. The lawsuit seeks more than $500 million in damages plus punitive damages, while Cuttell has denied the allegations. [RELATED STORY: SPACEXAI FILES SUIT]
The lawsuit also alleges money from the construction projects went toward Cuttell’s drag racing operations. Cuttell has denied wrongdoing, and the allegations have not been proven in court.
Maple Grove officials did not indicate whether Monday’s decision was connected in any way to Cuttell’s ongoing business litigation. What is known is that the litigation was already underway when Maple Grove made Monday’s announcement.
Eight months ago, IHRA was buying tracks and talking about big purses and bigger plans. Of all those moves, Maple Grove was the most important spoke in the wheel for the grand scheme of what was going on.
This wasn’t some obscure drag strip added to the collection. Maple Grove had history, an established fan base and an NHRA national event that had been there for decades.
Now its gates are closed for an unspecified period.
Exactly what Monday’s announcement means for Maple Grove remains unclear. Track officials didn’t put a timetable on the shutdown or say what has to happen before racing can resume.
There is also the matter of where Maple Grove ultimately lands in drag racing’s sanctioning landscape.
And then there’s NHRA again. Rumors continue to circulate about Maple Grove returning to NHRA sanctioning, but that’s all they are right now.
Neither Maple Grove nor NHRA has spoken about such a move and likely won’t anytime soon.
For now, the only official word is the one Maple Grove Raceway delivered Monday.













